Tuesday 30 August 2011

Producing waste

Today a colleague pointed out that Agilistas produce a lot of waste. Since it's in the core of agile to reduce waste, this seemed like a strange statement. So we discussed a bit :-) I pointed out that we produce less overhead documentation than other people do, as can be found in almost all presentations about agile.


He then told me he didn’t mean in the projects themselves… Agilistas are responsible for a whole lot of blogposts, tweets, Google+-posts, etc. and he labelled it waste. Of course I responded that using ­social media is an act of being social. A trait of all true Agilistas, since we value communication. Using social media gives people the opportunity to read and reply in their own time and we win time by not using it for mindless discussions. This silenced him for a moment, but he’s still not convinced. Luckily I know the silence means I got him thinking.

2 comments:

  1. Hmmm on a different note, despite me being an Agilistas as you call it, I do believe a lot of waste is created by them.

    The amount of sticky notes being used and then scrapped is immense, we also seem to quite often use physical paper cards for writing out stories, which then get trashed as well.

    I do not beleive all the blogging, tweeting etc. being a waste, I generally find that interesting and entertaining, I am however an avid believer in using a digital board with digital stickies rather than the normal paper waste created.

    ReplyDelete
  2. In that sense I can understand the producing waste. However, since it first added value to the process, is wasn't waste in the first place... But I also like the digiboards :-)

    ReplyDelete